10 Fun Facts About The Masters
Here are 10 fun facts about The Masters which you may not have known.
1. The only United States President to have been a member at Augusta National was Dwight D. Eisenhower
2. The tradition of members wearing the Green Jacket was first established as a way for patrons to identify who to ask for assistance or information.
3. The Masters was not played from 1943 to 1945 because of World World II. During that time, cattle and turkey were raised on the Augusta grounds to help with the war effort.
4. The famous “big oak tree” on the grounds was planted during the 1850’s and is now approximately between 145 and 150 years old.
5. Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, and Senior PGA Tour Player, John Harris are the only professional golfers who are actually members of Augusta National.
6. The youngest player to win The Masters was Tiger Woods in 1997. Tiger was just 21 years, 3 months, and 4 days old.
7. The oldest player to win the tournament was Jack Nicklaus in 1986. Jack was 46 years, 2 months, and 23 days old. Jack also has six wins at The Masters, which is the most of all time.
8. There is a dinner every year on Tuesday of The Masters week which includes all of those who have won the tournament, called the “Masters Club”. This dinner is hosted by the current defending champion.
9. Augusta National is located in Augusta, GA, which is an extremely fertile area for plant life. In addition, the location where the course is located was originally a nursery. Therefore, the flowers on the grounds are extremely beautiful. If there is an early spring, the course will actually put ice under the azaleas so that they do not blossom too soon. It is crucial to have everything at peak color for Masters week.
10. Interestingly enough, a beer at The Masters costs less than $3. This is unbelievable, considering that beer at most major sports arenas will cost you upwards of $8 to $10.
Find Master’s themed products from Golf HQ listed below:
Nike Lunar Control 3 Golf Shoes (Worn by Rory McIlroy in 2015 Masters)
Nike Afterburner Polo (Worn by Rory McIlroy in 2015 Masters)
Nike Major Moment Polo (Worn by Rory McIlroy in 2015 Masters)