Strokes Gained Off The Tee is one of the most important statistics kept on the PGA Tour as it combines both distance and accuracy. If you want to compete and contend week in and week out, you better be long and in play. Here are the top-10 players in that category and the drivers they use. You’ll notice 2 brands rule the roost but 3 of the top 4 are unique to the list.
10. Brooks Koepka (.616) Taylormade SIM2, 10.5°, Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Limited 60 TX
9. Corey Connors (.622) Ping G400 LST, 8.5°, UST Mamiya Elements Gold
8. Rory McIlroy (.636) Taylormade SIM2 Max, 9°, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 70 TX
7. Cameron Champ (.677) Ping G425 LST, 10.5° adjusted to 9°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV White 75 TX
6. Viktor Hovland (.701) Ping G425 LST, 9°, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60 X
5. Bubba Watson (.706) Ping G425 LST, 9°, Graffaloy Bi-Matrix Prototype
4. Jhonattan Vegas (.724) Titleist TSi3, 9°, Fujikura Motore X F1 X
3. Sergio Garcia (.804) Taylormade SIM2 Max, 9°, Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X
2. Jon Rahm (.848) Callaway Epic Speed, 10.5°, Aldila Tour Green 75 TX
1. Bryson DeChambeau (1.13) Cobra King Radspeed, 5.5°, LA Golf Prototype
You’ll notice some similarities in the players’ specs and set-ups. They all are around 9-10 degrees of loft, except for Bryson but he always has to be different doesn’t he? So don’t think you need a 7° or 8°, those days are over with today’s technology. You’ll also notice a lot of them play a lower spinning model of their particular brand (LST). The TSi3 is the lower spinning model in the Titleist driver family. These world-class players with 120+ mph swing speed don’t need more spin. They generate enough. They need the right mixture of high launch and low spin to carry the ball as far as possible, just as we do. We find that correct combination through a club fitting. Sergio and Rory chose to play the higher launching version of the SIM2, the Max. This model is a hair more forgiving but they offset that higher launch with a lower spinning shaft. This gives them a high but penetrating ball flight. If you are playing a driver that hasn’t been fit for you, you are losing strokes and distance.
Enjoy the game and each other,